Is visiting Colonia, Uruguay a good idea?
Most tourists visit Colonia, Uruguay as a day-trip from Buenos Aires as the ferry between the two cities is just 1 hour in each direction. We do frequently get emails from people interested in purchasing ferry tickets asking if we recommend it over other day trip possibilities from Buenos Aires and we always answer that while we love Colonia and think it is a special and beautiful destination it really depends on your personal interests.
- If you have more than 3 full days in Buenos Aires a side trip to Colonia is a great idea. If not you risk missing out on fully experiencing Buenos Aires.
- Colonia really is a charming place and is a completely different pace than the sometimes crazy and chaotic big city of Buenos Aires. If a day of aimlessly rambling beautiful cobblestone streets and having a relaxed lunch sounds like a nice way to spend a day definitely go to Colonia! If you are someone that craves huge urban cities and big-time attractions Colonia probably isn’t for you.
- If you are booking last minute check the weather in Colonia before buying ferry tickets. Colonia is best seen in nice weather as the main activity is exploring the town on foot.
- Accessibility – While not especially hilly or more difficult to navigate than other cities, keep in mind most of the streets in old-town Colonia are rough cobblestone streets that aren’t ideal for people with trouble walking or in wheelchairs.
- Uruguay is an interesting place culturally. It has been part of Portugal, Spain and Brazil throughout history and is a mix of all those countries still to this day.