Best Restaurants in Colonia, Uruguay
Being a popular tourist destination Colonia, Uruguay is filled with restaurants and cafes. Like many touristy destinations there are many restaurants in Colonia that have mediocre food at high prices knowing that it is likely you will never return to the city again and take advantage of it. There are some gems in the city however, but you need to know where to look! Our biggest piece of advice for dining in Colonia to avoid eating in the heart of the old city (ciudad viaja). Here are our top picks for restaurants in Colonia in no particular order.
- Pizzería Don Joaquín – If you end up spending a night in Colonia we highly recommend this pizzeria baking delicious thin crust pizzas with high quality ingredients. Prices are low and quality is high. 18 de Julio 267, open 8 pm-12 am 7 nights a week.
- Dos 22 – Just a couple blocks from the historic center, this restaurant is a hidden gem with delicious food, a nice ambiance and reasonable prices. The menu is fairly small with a selection of homemade pastas, meat and salads. Ituzaingó 222, open 12:30 pm-3:30 pm and 8:30 pm-12 am Thursday-Monday, closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- El Drugstore – An exception to our rule of avoiding restaurants in the historic center, El Drugstore consistently cooks up flavorful and fresh dishes with a slight Asian influence. Prices are a bit elevated for what it is, but the location is great and the ambiance is fun. De Portugal 174, open 12 pm-12 am 7 days a week.
- El Eslabon – If you want to eat like a local and try an amazing chivito sandwich, the national dish of Uruguay, this is our top pick. This bright yellow food cart has been specializing in the decadent sandwiches for years. Order, sit at one of their plastic tables, grab a local beer and indulge. Avenida Buenos Aires 70000 very close to the ferry terminal, hours are a bit undependable, but pass by to see if they are open as it’s worth it!
- La Pasiva – This mini-chain of chivito restaurants is an Uruguayan classic. It isn’t going to win any prizes for ambiance, but locals buy thousands of chivito sandwiches here each day since they are really quite good. Quick and a value option on the main avenue in Colonia. Avenida General Flores 444, open 8 am – 12 am, 7 days a week.